WASHINGTON, June 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Right now, Washington, DC introduced its official bid to be a bunch metropolis for the FIFA World Cup 2026, one of many best world sporting occasions. With Mayor Muriel Bowser’s help and management, Occasions DC, the District of Columbia’s official conference and sports activities authority and members of the newly fashioned Washington, DC FIFA World Cup 2026 Advisory Board have formally launched DC’s bid to host World Cup matches. This digital launch announcement unveils the imaginative and prescient and model identification for town’s pursuit to convey the FIFA World Cup to DC.
As a worldwide metropolis with deep roots in soccer historical past paired with world-class infrastructure and a confirmed capability to host high-profile, worldwide occasions, Washington, DC is positioned to be an unmatched host metropolis for the historic 2026 FIFA World Cup, for the primary time spanning three nations: Mexico, Canada and U.S.
“Proper now, as nations around the globe proceed to reply to this pandemic, the 2026 FIFA World Cup is one thing we will all sit up for,” stated Mayor Muriel Bowser. “And when the event involves North America, it solely is smart for DC — the Sports activities Capital and District of Champions — to host. We’re already a metropolis united by the sport, and in 2026, we sit up for uniting the world.”
“As a local Washingtonian, I’m proud to be a Co-Chair of DC’s official bid committee to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup. I couldn’t consider a extra vibrant, inclusive or passionate soccer metropolis to host FIFA World Cup matches in 2026. With our deep soccer roots and variety, the tradition of our metropolis provides us our basis to efficiently spotlight the matches and depart an enduring impression on the way forward for the sport,” stated Invoice Hamid, D.C. United participant and Co-Chair of the DC2026 Advisory Board.
Chairs of the DC2026 Advisory Board Max Brown, Chairman of the Board of Administrators of Occasions DC, Mark Ein, founder and CEO of Capital Funding Company, Gina Adams of FedEx and Invoice Hamid, D.C. United outlined three pillars to DC’s unmatched place to be a bunch metropolis.
- America’s Numerous International Capital – The nation’s capital is dwelling to greater than 190 embassies and cultural facilities. DC can also be the hub for worldwide information bureaus within the USA. As a real world metropolis, DC is the definition of city sophistication with a whole bunch of culturally numerous theaters and galleries to greater than 100 free museums and points of interest for guests to expertise.
- Host to the World — The District has many years of expertise of internet hosting internationally-recognized occasions from presidential inaugurations to the annual Nationwide Cherry Blossom Pageant. Along with world-class lodges, prime eating places from Michelin-star cooks, and vibrant sports activities and leisure venues, DC has the infrastructure to welcome over 20 million guests annually to journey and rejoice with ease. As a pacesetter in modern infrastructure, DC was named the world’s first LEED Platinum metropolis with extra LEED-certified buildings per capita than every other metropolis within the nation. With three airports, a handy Metro system, streetcar, bike-share community and loads of pedestrian-friendly sidewalks, DC is accessible – straightforward to get to and round.
- Rising the Sport — Washington, DC has hosted a few of soccer’s greatest moments, and is the one metropolis in America that has been chosen to host the 1994 FIFA World Cup, 1996 Olympic soccer video games and the 1999 and 2003 FIFA Girls’s World Cup. DC has additionally hosted extra U.S. Nationwide Staff video games than every other metropolis throughout the globe and has been the popular metropolis to host a few of US Soccer’s most iconic moments just like the US Soccer Centennial Celebration match and David Beckham’s charming MLS debut. Soccer stars like Pelé, Mia Hamm, Wayne Rooney, Ronaldinho, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Johan Cruyff and Eddie Pope have both had profession highlights right here or referred to as DC dwelling. There are greater than 300,000 youth within the neighborhood close to Washington, DC that take part in soccer each day. DC is dedicated to constructing the way forward for the sport throughout town with infrastructure and elevated devoted inexperienced area to help the expansion of soccer participation within the area, in addition to accessibility to children throughout all corners of town.
“On behalf of Washington, DC’s 2026 FIFA World Cup Advisory Board members, we’re thrilled to formally announce DC’s bid to host the 2026 video games and showcase DC’s passionate soccer base to the world. Not solely is DC united by the sport, however the unity and resilience that our metropolis has proven over the previous few months all through the upending world well being pandemic and now with the social injustice actions are prime examples of what it means for a metropolis to host the FIFA World Cup. Past the sport, the DC neighborhood has as soon as once more demonstrated its capability to come back collectively throughout all corners of our culturally wealthy metropolis to help and rejoice one another, whereas strengthening our metropolis’s bond and future,” acknowledged Max Brown, Co-Chair, Washington, DC 2026 FIFA World Cup Advisory Board. “Washington, DC is a world-class expertise for guests of all ages throughout the globe, with world-leading mobility infrastructure, culturally numerous neighborhoods and points of interest, and importantly a confirmed observe file in internet hosting a few of soccer’s most iconic globally acknowledged moments. Internet hosting the FIFA World Cup in DC will even function an financial driver for our metropolis’s future – with an estimated financial impression of $500M and the creation of roughly 3,500 job alternatives for residents. Let’s not neglect – we’re not only a world capital, however a sports activities capital – a metropolis the place champions come to win (Washington Capitals, Mystics and Nationals championships) – and we will consider no higher place than in DC to host the FIFA World Cup in 2026.”
“There couldn’t be a extra vital time for our metropolis to unite and launch this effort to convey the FIFA World Cup to Washington, DC,” stated DC2026 Advisory Board Honorary Co-Chair Gina Adams, Senior Vice President at FedEx. “Leaders from throughout all sectors of our numerous and multi-cultural metropolis are bringing their know-how to assist form and drive our pursuit to be a bunch metropolis for this iconic world occasion.”
“DC’s ardour for and dedication to soccer over many many years is second to none,” stated DC2026 Advisory Board Co-Chair, Mark Ein. “We’ve hosted World Cup video games, Olympic video games and extra U.S. Nationwide Groups than every other metropolis on the planet. Now we’re able to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup video games with DC’s world-class infrastructure and hospitality.”
Washington, DC has grow to be the epicenter of each U.S. and worldwide main soccer moments, making town the unofficial capital of soccer in America. Becoming a member of the bid announcement and Advisory Board are key figures of DC’s soccer neighborhood, together with Jason Levien (D.C. United’s CEO and Managing Normal Companion), Eddie Pope (Nationwide Soccer Corridor of Famer, member of the U.S. Males’s Nationwide Staff and revered D.C. United participant), and Brianna Scurry (Nationwide Soccer Corridor of Famer, FIFA Girls’s World Cup Champion, Olympic Gold medalist and Washington Spirit coach), who’re dedicated to rising and sustaining town’s place as a pacesetter within the recreation.
“Being chosen to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup video games could be an unbelievable alternative. This achievement will verify what we all know – that DC is an amazing soccer metropolis. We stay excited to showcase DC’s unbelievable fanbase and its vibrant soccer roots on world show and in addition sit up for working alongside US Soccer and FIFA as we search to host the 2026 video games,” stated Jason Levien, CEO, Managing Normal Companion of D.C. United.
Here’s a sampling of DC2026 Advisory Board Members:
- Gina Adams, SVP, Authorities and Regulatory Affairs at FedEx
- Ambassador Arturo Sarukhan, former Mexican Ambassador to the US
- Nicole Quiroga, President and CEO, Higher Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Eddie Pope, 3x United States FIFA World Cup member, 3x MLS Cup Champion with D.C. United and Octagon North America Soccer Head
- Joanna Lohman and Andi Sullivan U.S. Girls’s Nationwide Staff and Washington Spirit
- Invoice Hamid, D.C. United
- Brianna Scurry, 4x United States FIFA Girls’s World Cup member, 2x Olympic gold medal, Nationwide Soccer Corridor of Fame, Washington Spirit
- José Andrés, Spanish-American Chef, Founding father of World Central Kitchen
- John Falcicchio, Interim Deputy Mayor for Planning and Financial Growth
- Max Brown, Chairman, Board of Administrators of Occasions DC
- Mark Ein, Founder and CEO of Capital Funding Corp.
- Gregory A. O’Dell, President and Chief Govt Officer of Occasions DC
- Jason Levien, CEO, Managing Normal Companion of D.C. United
Take a look at the DC2026.org web site to view the complete DC2026 Advisory Board listing. To study extra about DC’s bid to be a bunch metropolis for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and to join information, occasions and knowledge on being a supporter, go to DC2026.org. Observe DC2026 on social at @DC2026 (Instagram, Twitter and Fb).
ABOUT EVENTS DC:
Occasions DC, the official conference and sports activities authority for the District of Columbia, delivers premier occasion providers and versatile venues throughout the nation’s capital. Leveraging the ability of a world-class vacation spot and creating wonderful attendee experiences, Occasions DC generates financial and neighborhood advantages by way of the attraction and promotion of enterprise, athletic, leisure and cultural actions. Occasions DC oversees the Walter E. Washington Conference Middle, an anchor of the District’s hospitality and tourism economic system that hosts greater than 1.7 million guests and generates greater than $400 million yearly in complete financial impression, and the historic Carnegie Library at Mt. Vernon Sq.. Occasions DC manages the RFK Stadium-Armory Campus (RFK Campus), together with Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Pageant Grounds at RFK Campus, the non-military capabilities of the DC Armory and the Skate Park at RFK Stadium. Keep present on the 190-acre RFK Campus Redevelopment Mission at www.RFKCampus.com. Occasions DC additionally constructed and serves as landlord for Nationals Park, the primary LEED-certified main skilled sports activities stadium in the US. Occasions DC manages Gateway DC, R.I.S.E. Demonstration Middle and the Leisure and Sports activities Enviornment (www.ESAontheRise.com), all conveniently situated within the Congress Heights neighborhood of Washington, DC. For extra info, please go to www.eventsdc.com and discover us on social media – Fb, Instagram and YouTube (Occasions DC), and Twitter (@TheEventsDC).
Ashley Forrester, Occasions DC
View authentic content material to obtain multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/washington-dc-launches-bid-to-host-2026-fifa-world-cup-games-301085922.html
SOURCE Occasions DC